Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Halloween Party for the Boys

So, Alex is like his mom and gets really excited about holidays. We had talked about having a Halloween party but I hadn't had time to plan one as we had to give talks in church a few weeks back. Then there's the uncertainty of how a 4-month old would cooperate, and if I could handle the kids on my own (since Jon lives and work and visits us for a few hours in the middle of the night). At the last minute, we decided to pull one together, deciding that 5 year olds wouldn't be too picky about the party details. Wednesday afternoon we invited a few 5 year-old boys over for a party the next evening. Thursday morning Alex helped me cut out some sugar cookies for them to decorate. (I purposely didn't hide the dishes in the background to "keep it real") :) Here's our little group of Halloween goons that joined us.
We had a kid-friendly dinner of mummy dogs, cheetos, carrots, apple slices and cranberry wassail.
One of the kids asked me why there were leaves on the table and the plates? And why the plates, napkins and cups matched? Silly me - thinking 5 year-olds wouldn't care about the details - good thing I was semi with it! The noise level got a little high during dinner and I wondered if having six 5 year-olds over was really such a good idea. I will say that they all seemed to share the same sense of humor.
We played a few games - including a "drop the ghost (painted clothespin) in the bucket". Jon made it home a little bit early and was able to help out a little bit.
We played a homemade "pin the nose on the jack-o-lantern" that was a hit.
I hid some mini pumpkins outside and let the kids go find them. Inside, we made spiders out of them.For the grand finale, the kids decorated (and of course, ate) some sugar cookies.
This was, of course, enjoyed by all.
We are lucky that we live so close to some of our cousins now so they can spend more time together. These 3 were born within 6 weeks of each other. Aren't they so cute with their happy grins?
Everyone seemed to have a good time and I was glad we did it. After all - it's all about the fun memories for my sweetie pies.

7 comments:

Jennie said...

What a fun party. Thanks for including C and for bringing him home. It was a crazy day. I love all their costumes. So cute!

Kimi said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha I am still laughing over Hayden's costume. That is hilarious. Maybe some day your kids can host our kids' parties? jk. (since it will be a ways down the road)

grandma gus said...

What a fun, fun party for those fun little wiggle machines!! What a brave mother you are Cami....way to go!!

Toni said...

It looks like the party was a hit! Really cute games.

Stacie said...

What a fun mom you are! I bet the kids loved it and... mummy hotdogs how cool. I love the costumes...I can't believe how smiley Aiden is...so dang cute!!!

grandma gus said...

Is that some kind of a mat that Alex is roling out his cookie dough on? I failed to ask about that, or is an optical illusion with the flour?

flynn family said...

I am impressed that you put on a party! That is a lot of work--and thanks for "keeping it real" with the dishes. My house is very REAL these days. :)