Friday, August 29, 2008

Alex's first day of Kindergarten

Here's Alex on our front steps - ready to walk to school. Of course he's wearing the brightest pair of shorts he owns - they match a shirt that go with them - but the one he's wearing is not it. I tried to get him to change, but he wouldn't do it. So - he's striking in bright blue and red.

Here he is with his teacher - Mrs. Robbins. She's nice, but I'm sure she will have her hands full. Alex had his testing done on Wednesday - and let's just say he was less than cooperative. It went something like this:
Teacher: What's your full name?
Alex: Gus*** (in a moody voice)
Teacher: (again) What's your *full* name?
Alex: Gus*** (still in the moody voice)
Teacher: That's your last name. What's your first name?
Alex: Alex
Teacher: Can you say that together?
Alex: Yes (long pause with no hope of him saying them together - she just asked if he could say them together, didn't actually ask him to do it. She finally got him to repeat it after him.

Teacher: What's your favorite book?
Alex: I don't have one. (pause) The three little pigs.
Teacher: Can you tell it to me?
Alex: Don't you have it?
Teacher: Yes, but I want you to tell it to me.
Alex: You know it.
Teacher: But I need you to tell it to me.
Alex finally told her the story.

Teacher: Which of these shapes is the biggest
Alex: Which one would you pick?
Teacher: I need you to tell me which one you pick.

Teacher: What is this shape?
Alex: What do you think?

Well, we finally got through it. He started to cooperate a little more at the end, but I can tell she's thinking her hands will be full with him! By the way, he was also reluctant to take this picture. We started to leave, but I was able to convince him to take the picture by telling him that all his cousins will have their pics of the first day of school on the Gus Family Video, but that's OK if he doesn't want his on there with them. That finally got him. Reverse psychology is sometimes the best way to reach this kid.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I love your blog. You have done a great job of putting it together. Alex makes me smile. I would have loved to been there during his testing. It sounded hilarious.

mama fish said...

Welcome to the wide world of blogging! warning: it becomes very addicting! You have done a great job, music included. Alex already knows how to work it at such a young age. Tell him to show Jon how to make other people do your work!j/k

JILL said...

I LOVE your blog. It's such a great way to keep in touch. You have a beautiful family.

Stacie said...

Holy Cow that is so funny!!!
Alex is such a funny kid...good luck to his teacher...and to you.

Your blog is dang cute and so fun...your totally going to love blogging.

Annalee said...

So cute Cami! It will be fun to see what is going on with you guys! Alex is cracking us up! That is too funny. Great job on the blog!!
Love, Annalee & fam

Carrie said...

I can't believe Alex is in Kindergarten. That does not seem possible. Aidan is such a cutie. You definitely have adorable boys. I want to see a picture of your house now.